Employment Tribunal Awards

Employment Tribunal Awards

As well as enforcing money judgments Burlington Group are also able to enforce employment tribunal awards. An award from the employment tribunal is not a Judgment but we can apply to the court to register the award as a Judgment and to issue a Writ of Control. We do this by completing form N471.

All you need to do is to send us your tribunal award. Unlike money Judgments the £600 threshold does not apply so we can enforce tribunal awards regardless of the size of the award.

We will process the award for you for free but there will be a fee of £66.00 which is a court disbursement to issue the Writ. As with money Judgments, this disbursement is added to the Writ and is recoverable in the event of full collection of the sums that are due.

The process to obtain a Writ of Control in relation to an employment tribunal award will take 7-10 days.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

I want to go ahead and enforce my judgment. What do you need from me?
In order to proceed with enforcement, we will need a copy of the tribunal award us to enforce; your completed instruction form. Unlike regular money Judgments, the Compliance fee is not payment by you in the event of non recovery.
What will you do once the Writ of Control is obtained?
Once we have received the writ, we will send out the statutory Notice of Enforcement to the debtor. This allows the debtor 7 clear days, excluding Sundays and Bank Holidays to make payment in full including our Compliance Fee. Once the notice period had elapsed and payment hasn’t been made we will instruct an Enforcement Officer to attend at the debtor’s address.
What will the Enforcement Agent do when at the property?
Once on site, our Enforcement Officer will attempt to obtain payment in full. If the debtor is unable to pay in full, we will attempt to come to a mutually agreeable payment arrangement to clear any balance and seize their goods to be held as security. This is called a Controlled Goods Agreement.
We will generally only remove goods if the Defendant cannot make payment or if the goods we have seized are at risk.
How much will it cost?
Our fees are generally payable by the debtor in accordance with Taking Control of Goods (Fees) Regulations 2014. These regulations allow us to charge our fees in addition to the judgment debt where we are successful. If we are unsuccessful your liability is limited to the Court fee to obtain the Writ of £66.00
When do I get my money?
We can pay your money 14 days after it has been received from the debtor. It has to be kept for this period in accordance with the Insolvency Act however we try and pay funds out regularly every month.
What if you only collect half the debt?
If we only collect half the debt we only receive half our enforcement fees. We do try and collect all the sums due.
Can you force you way in to their house?
No we can not, however if the door is open we can enter?
Can you seize the debtors car?
Some vehicles can be seized if they are not on finance or disability vehicles. Before removing a vehicle we need to be certain it will be financially viable to remove and sell it.
How do I instruct Burlington?
To instruct us, complete our Online Instruction Form or call 020 7118 3100